The proposed policy for faculty is based on several principles:
- Provides time to parents of newborn or newly adopted children when they most needed it – at the time the child arrives. The policy would apply to any male or female faculty member anticipating the arrival of a child.
- Keeps the best interests of IWU students in mind and minimizes disruption in instruction during the semester by providing an opportunity for parents to take a semester-long leave.
- Retains the short term disability benefit currently available to all Illinois Wesleyan faculty for those who do not want to take a full semester leave.
- Recognizes the financial situation of parents while allowing adjunct coverage of courses during a childbearing/childrearing leave.
- Parallels the proposed policies for university exempt and non-exempt staff which also will allow new parents to take time off when a new child arrives.
- Provide several options to new parents without being too complex or too cumbersome to administer.